Beef & Roots Stew
Our stew is packed with succulent beef and tasty root vegetables. And because everything is cooked in the same dish, there’s minimal washing up. Note that this recipe makes 5 servings, so you can portion and freeze it to reheat at a future date or chill in the fridge to eat for easy no-fuss suppers on weekday evenings.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3.
- Lightly spray a large heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole with oil and place over a medium to high heat. Add the beef and cook for 6–8 minutes, stirring often, until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on some absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add the onions, carrots, swede/rutabagas, potatoes and celery to the pan. Reduce the heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften and colour.
- Stir in the flour and then add the stock, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil and stir in the mustard. Return the beef to the pan with the bay leaves and orange zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently over a low heat for 1½–2 hours or until the vegetables are cooked and the beef is really tender. Remove the orange peel and bay leaves.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley, or leave to cool and divide into 5 portions. Spoon each one into a container, then seal, label and freeze until required.
Step it up…
For a Step 5 dinner, add an extra 300g cubed lean stewing beef and serve with 400g steamed or boiled broccoli florets.
Note: Use a potato peeler to peel away a long thin piece of the rind (zest) of an orange.
Copyright 2020 Cambridge Weight Plan Southern Africa | All Rights Reserved